Saturday, October 25, 2014

Taking Pictures of Illusion Knitting Is Hard!

Just as the title of the post says, boy, taking pictures of illusion/shadow knitting is hard. By its nature, you have to look at a piece of illusion knitting at an angle in order to see the pattern come out; otherwise, all you see are stripes.

I did an illusion scarf (Doctor Who themed), and taking the pictures of that was challenging. Mostly because I realized after taking a lot of pictures that the edges of the scarf weren't lying straight and they didn't turn out looking very nice, so I had to do it again. But also because it makes the picture itself very long (very tall and very skinny), which is not the best format for displaying the picture. Here's the picture I finally went with for that pattern:


And I'm still not 100% happy with it. Hence the reason I'm so glad I was able to get the "atmospheric" shot to use as the cover photo:


So this morning I set out to take some fairly quick pictures of the matching Don't Blink Illusion Hat so I can have something to show in my call for test knitters. And I realized that taking pictures of flat illusion knitting is infinitely easier than taking pictures of illusion knitting in the round and on a curved surface. I'm going to have to figure out something else for the final shots as these look awful!






Any suggestions? In the meantime, I'll shortly be posting a call for test knitters for this hat pattern and plan to release the pattern before the end of the year.

I'm loving creating and doing illusion knitting, but I'm going to have to figure out a better way of taking pictures of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment