Thursday, February 19, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Irish Hiking Scarf

Now that I've been knitting for 10 years, I have a number of knitting projects under my belt, so I'm going to talk about some of those past projects on Thursdays. Today's post is about a project that was a first for me in many ways and is very special as a result.

When I first started knitting, I thought that places like Hobby Lobby were where you went to get yarn. I didn't know about local yarn stores (and there was an amazing one in the town I lived in at the time that I didn't discover for a little while) or about some of the great online shops. So that's where I went to get my yarn, but I wasn't particularly happy with the acrylic yarn. At that time (pre-Ravelry for me--if I remember right I was on the waiting list to join the Ravelry beta for something like seven or eight months, ultimately joining on September 10, 2007, as Raveler #10163), I did find the knittinghelp.com forums and I started reading about yarn that other people were using for projects.

There was this yarn that everyone was going crazy for. They even had a bit of a nickname for it--Mmmmmalabrigo (the number of m's at the beginning being variable based upon how you were feeling about the yarn at the time). This was Malabrigo Worsted (now Merino Worsted) and knitters were raving about how soft and wonderful it was. I had to try some. But I didn't know where to get it. So I turned to the online market I did know--eBay. I found a seller on eBay who had quite a bit of Malabrigo for sale. After carefully looking through all the colors, I picked a pink one (Pink Frost) and ordered two skeins.

I'm not sure where I found the pattern for the Irish Hiking Scarf. Perhaps that also came through the knittinghelp.com forum, but I remember that I was loving the projects with cables that I had seen, but I had never tried cables before. They seemed like they might be really difficult, but I wanted to make projects that looked like some of the pictures that I saw so I was determined to figure it out. And this pattern looked like it might be somewhat on the easier side and would also give me a lot of practice with cables. And I was right. And you know what? Once I started doing the cables I realized that cables are one of those deceptive things in knitting. They look a lot harder than they actually are. And my love of cables has continued.

So I was cruising along on my cable scarf with this luscious yarn that was everything everyone had said it would be. It did take me a while--according to my Ravelry page, I worked on it from August to November 2006 (but since the project itself was pre-Ravelry, I'm not sure how accurate those dates are). And I was having fun with the cables. I do have one mistake in the scarf--a place where I knit two extra rows before starting the next cable, but it's not a super big mistake and overall the scarf turned out really great. This was the first project I was truly proud of.



So this project has a special place in my heart. It was my first non-acrylic yarn. It was my first cable project. It was my first time challenging myself. And when I joined Ravelry, a picture of the beginning of this scarf was my first Ravetar (and the one I used for a very long time--I actually use it here on Blogger still).



I don't wear this scarf very much these days. Not for any particular reason about the scarf but because I prefer cowls to scarves right now. I really should get it out and wear it again. Because that Mmmmmalabrigo is so super soft and squishy. And to this day, it's still one of my favorite yarns to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment