Monday, March 16, 2015

Fiber Week in Review: March 9-15

It's been a busy week both personally and professionally. We had a weekend visit from my in-laws (which was lovely), so I didn't get any dyeing done this weekend as I had hoped (I wanted to make one last run before DFW Fiber Fest). And on a sad note, my mom had to put her dog to sleep on Saturday. He's been sick and in failing health for a while now and he was finally at the point where his quality of life just wasn't there, so she made the tough choice. We enjoyed teasing her about "one-fang" Clifford (he had bad teeth and kept having to get them pulled until he had just one left), but I know he was very important to her and she's going to be missing her companion.

Knitting: I finished the booth sample I had been working on: my Lyonet Hat in my Lancelot base (colorway Morgan le Fay). I wasn't truly worried about finishing on time (on time meaning for DFW Fiber Fest), but it does feel good to have it done (and even blocked).



I also made some sample swatches of three of my other bases. From top to bottom in the picture, I have Perceval (Lady of the Lake colorway), Guenevere (Nimue colorway), and Gawain (Tintagel colorway). Because I don't have time to make the full items in each base, I did these swatches for my booth for DFW Fiber Fest. I do plan to start a project (Dorigen Cowl) with the Galahad base, which will be my project to have with me to work on at DFW, so I'll have that as the sample for Galahad.


And with those projects crossed off the to do list, I was able to get back to work on the baby blanket. Each row takes quite a while, but I feel like I've actually made progress. And this will be my project to focus on now (the baby is due in May), so I hope to have a lot more to show in future updates.


Spinning: Once again I did a little bit of spinning this week. I finished the first bobbin (of two) of the fiber I started working with last week. I probably won't get a lot done this coming week with DFW Fiber Fest, but after that I hope to get back into spinning a lot more.


Stash Enhancement: Nothing to see here again. Looking forward to my after DFW update as I expect this to be the biggest section for next week's post!

Designing: The baby blanket is the focus right now. Once I get to the halfway point, I will write up the pattern (since by then I'll have a good handle on the overall size and amount of yarn needed). I have a friend who has expressed interest in test knitting it, so I'll probably send it her way at that point. I may go ahead and do the full test knit at that point or I may wait until I have the blanket finished first. I'm going to see how long it takes me to work on it myself to figure out how much time I should give the test knitters.

I also worked on some swatches for the shawl collection I had mentioned last week. I've gotten two finished with basic plans in mind, so I think I'll more fully flesh out those two and then start knitting the sample of the first one for whenever I want a break from the baby blanket. The swatches in the picture just used leftover bits of yarn as I was testing out the stitch pattern rather than actually swatching with the intended yarn. That's coming in the more fully fleshed out plan.



Dyeing: This week was a bit low key on the dyeing front. I didn't want to get overwhelmed with a bunch to reskein and label at the last minute so I've only done a little after the big push of last weekend. But I'm looking forward to having Round Table Yarns debut at DFW Fiber Fest. After that, I'll be posting regular updates in my shop and will be working on new colorways (I have some great ideas for some variegated colorways that I've been itching to try) and even a couple of new bases (I need one for the newly released Brynhild Cowl pattern, for example).

Sewing: I dusted off my sewing machine this week to make a craft apron for DFW Fiber Fest. At Knit Night, I found out that Joann's recently got some Doctor Who fabric, so the next day I ran up there and found three of the five that had been available (the two with the TARDIS were already sold out), so that's what I used. I don't know how to best fit sewing into my already packed schedule, but I did have a good time making this, so I'll need to break out the sewing machine every now and then for sure.


Luke: Oh my gosh, Luke was definitely acting like the three year old he is this week! From having to chase him all over the Nature Park (we went to see a demonstration with raptors and owls, but he didn't want to sit still and look at them--they were so cool though!) to having to figure out how he changed the theme on my computer and change it back (as well as cleaning off the pencil marks he scribbled all over my track pad), it's been crazy. I'm thinking that because it was Spring Break and he didn't have preschool or Little Gym, he just had way too much pent up energy. We'll have to figure out something for the summer. He will have Little Gym then, but no preschool, so we'll have to get some more activities in our routine so he doesn't drive me crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment