Saturday, February 6, 2016

Behind the Scenes: The process of designing, making charts

Behind the Scenes of Designing Knitting Patterns with KarenDawn Designs: Making Charts

 I love graph paper these days. I have several different types of graph paper with different sized squares. I use it to play with stitch patterns and to layout how those stitches will work together in the actual design. I also go through a lot of pencil lead and erasers!


Behind the Scenes of Designing Knitting Patterns with KarenDawn Designs: Making Charts
The picture above shows a sketch on graph paper for a shawl (or rather half of a triangular shawl--it gets repeated for the other half). With this sketch, one piece of graph paper wasn't enough to be able to get a good representation of the chart, so I had to tape multiple pieces of graph paper together. I remember spreading this out on my kitchen table and working on it there because my desk wasn't big enough!
Once I have a stitch pattern charted out on graph paper, I move to my computer and use my charting program to draw the chart. (I use StitchMastery, which I really like, but there are several other program options out there.) From there, I write up a quick set of instructions for the pattern, insert the charts, and start my sample knit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The content in this post was first featured in my newsletter (June 20, 2015). If you'd like to keep up to date on my designs and yarn and receive content like this right in your email inbox, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment