Friday, July 11, 2014

A Better Day

Today didn't start out so great, with not sleeping well and being awake at 4 am. But I decided that I would just try to push forward anyway.

I had to go to the post office to mail off some yarn I had destashed (going to Australia!), so I decided to get Luke's hair cut while we were out. He really impressed me today. While I was busy getting his water and a snack to take with us, he brought me his shoes to put on him. Since I was busy, I told him to put them on himself, not really expecting that to happen. Imagine my surprise when he not only tried but also succeeded in putting on his shoes--correctly! Then during his hair cut he sat in the chair all by himself for the first time. It was so nice not to have him on my lap and thus feel like I'm in the way and also feel like I am covered in his hair after the cut even though I have on a cape too.

My little boy is growing up!
Since he was such a good sport, I took him next door to get a doughnut. He was a little loud (shouting "hey" to the other customers who came in--at least he is trying to be friendly), but he sat in his chair and ate his doughnut. Off to the post office, where he was a little up to his usual acts (trying to run off instead of staying near me). But there was actually quite a line at the post office, so I don't really blame him for not wanting to stand in line all that time.

After that was the biggest snag of the day. I had planned to go to a store that I hadn't been to before (well, that location at least--it's a chain). I had a basic idea of where it was but couldn't remember exactly. I drove around and around trying to find it, finally trying to locate it with my phone. Nothing popped up at first. I tried the store locator on the store's website but it didn't seem to want to work with my phone. So finally I looked at a different map app and found it, only to see that it said "permanently closed." Ah! So that's why I didn't find it!

By this time it was almost 11 and as we generally get lunch around then, I decided to stop for lunch. Instead of getting Rosa's to go, since Luke had been good overall, I tried out going inside to eat. He happily munched on his chips and queso and mostly stayed in his seat. Once again, he shouted "hey" at the people next to us (and tried offering them his chips!). After I was finished eating but while he was still munching, he started to stand up in the booth, so we left at that point.

Home where he played happily (more or less) until nap time, which he took (and is still currently taking) without too much protest. I used the time to get a short editing project done, to do a little spinning for the Tour de Fleece, and to finish typing up the draft of the pattern for my latest cowl. (Oh! This morning I sewed on the buttons that I had picked up for it yesterday and took some pictures of it.) I was able to get everything set up for the test knit and already have two test knitters. (I'm still looking for more--if you're interested, go to Ravelry for more information.)
Current spinning project

The Wife of Bath's Cowl

The back side of the cowl
Plus, an announcement about my editing business made its first phase today (sorry for being vague but I don't want to give it away quite yet) and the part involving me will occur on Monday--so stayed tuned for more details then! This is something I'm super excited about so I'm thrilled to see it moving forward.

So, whew! It's not quite 4:00 and it's been a pretty darn good day so far. I definitely needed that after how I felt about yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment