Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Indie Design GAL2014: Interview with Sarah Ronchetti

Today as part of the Indie Design GAL, I'm delighted to be talking with Sarah Ronchetti, who designs patterns under the name Sezza Knits. When I first looked at Sarah's designs on Ravelry, I was excited to see a new-to-me designer. I was even more excited by what I found--it looks like several of her designs are going to be added to my queue, such as Umberto, Feathered Mitts (which I'll be knitting myself as part of the GAL--in fact, I cast on last night!), and Zigging Hat. Her tagline is "Knitting Designs for the Whole Family" and that is most definitely the case. And if you have a little girl to knit for, you've got to see Zagging Skirt. So cute! Onto the interview!

Feathered Mitts (photo copyright Sarah Ronchetti, used by permission)

Zigging Hat (photo copyright Sarah Ronchetti, used by permission)
Karen: When did you start designing and what got you started with designing your own patterns?

Sarah: I started designing at the end of 2011. I couldn't find a pattern I wanted so I decided that I would have to design it myself.  At the same time I saw a call for designs for Petite Purls and had my submission accepted, so those 2 (Zipped Up and Tango Tank) were my first designs and it gave me a real boost to keep going.

Karen: Getting two designs accepted for a third-party publication early on sounds like a great boost to keep you going! Where does your design inspiration come from?

Sarah: Everywhere! It started out with my children, designing items I wanted to knit for them, or that I thought would be cute. I take inspiration from all over the place though, places we visit, family members, yarns.

Karen: You live in New Zealand. Although Ravelry is a worldwide community, it does skew more heavily toward the Northern Hemisphere. Do you find that your knitting/designing aligns with your own Southern Hemisphere seasons, with the Northern Hemisphere, or a mixture of both?

Sarah: I try to keep the Northern Hemisphere in mind when releasing patterns, but I have a large following of Australian and New Zealand knitters, and my own preference is to knit warm things in Winter and smaller things in Summer. Its a mixture of both, but more heavily skewed towards Southern Hemispheres seasons when designing.

Karen: Speaking of mixtures, you have a great mix of patterns for the whole family. Is that something you've set out to do or has it just happened that way?

Sarah: It just happened! I started with my children, and then moved onto myself. And then my husband. Now I try and keep that up and think about where the gaps might be when thinking of new designs. Most people like to knit for those that they love as well as for themselves, whether that be friends, nephews, Parents, or children!

Karen: Looking at your Ravelry profile, it says that you're getting back into teaching after staying at home with your children for several years. How has that been going? Have you found it difficult to balance work, family, and designing?

Sarah: Yes I am finding it difficult to balance. I have very recently returned to teaching full time and I LOVE it, but it means my brain has less room for designing right now, and I can usually only manage a little knitting in the evenings. Luckily with teaching we get some non-contact time (others call this holidays) and I plan to stock up a few prototypes then. Family life has always been a bit of a balancing act, but I'm very lucky to be working at my children's school so I get paid to see them participate in their daily lives.

Karen: Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but it must be so nice to be at the same school as your children. Do you have a favorite out of your designs?

Sarah: Oh its like picking a favourite child! Tallulah is my newest, so probably my current favourite!
Tallulah (photo copyright Sarah Ronchetti, used by permission)
Karen: That is a very nice pattern! Is there a particular favorite yarn that you like to work with?

Sarah: I love knitting with local indie yarn whenever possible, I have a few favourites, and they are incredibly talented dyers with a gorgeous product. My Favourites are Little Plum Yarns DK Superwash Merino, Red Riding Hood Cherie Gold Sock and Vintage Purls Sock.

Karen: I keep seeing ads for the Red Riding Hood yarn; I should give that a try soon! Why did you decide to join the Indie Design GAL? Did you participate last year? If so, what was your favorite part about it? What are you looking forward to this year?

Sarah: I did participate last year and really enjoyed it. It is like a party that last for weeks, and its great to get a chance to chat to new people, to make connections and to see what so many people are knitting. I am modding the Sweater KAL again this year.

Karen: That sounds great! Any hints on what's coming up next with your designing?

Sarah: An adult version of Tallulah is next on my list, I really really want one for me! And then I think I might need to knit some more socks :)

Karen: I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for that one as I really like Tallulah!


Thanks so much, Sarah, for stopping by my blog today to chat. You can find Sarah and Sezza Knits online at the following places:
Website/blog: Sezza Knits
Ravelry: Sezza
Facebook: Sezza Knits
Twitter: @sezzaNZ

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm knitting Sezza's "Taupo" at the moment, as well as a shawl for the KAL, I LOVE Sezza's socks! Her Scott Base socks are my favourites to knit and especially to wear. So fitting and comfortable. Thank you for this interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. It was a lot of fun to get to know Sezza a little better during this interview.

      Delete