Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Indie Design GAL2014: Interview with Jenny Faifel

I'm thrilled to be able to interview another designer who is participating in this year's Indie Design Gift-A-Long on Ravelry. Today, I welcome Jenny Faifel, aka SweaterFreak, to my blog. In looking over Jenny's catalog in preparation for this interview, I realized that I have seen and really liked several of her designs. Her desert flower is a top that is on my list of things I really want to knit. It uses Susie M's Contiguous Method, which I tried once for a doll sweater and have been wanting to try on a sweater/top for me. I also remember when she released loopdigan because it has such a neat construction: a cardigan with an attached infinity scarf. Genius! I really love the yoke design on her my inner viking sweater. And her newest release, city blocks, is a cowl that can be worn with either side facing out for two completely different looks. Go check out her other patterns too for some great options, both for gifts and for yourself!

desert flower (photo copyright Jenny Faifel, used by permission)

loopdigan (photo copyright Jenny Faifel, used by permission)
Onto the interview!

Karen: I see that you've been knitting since childhood. Who taught you how to knit and what was your first project?

Jenny: How observant! Yes, I have been knitting since I was 7. I was taught by my maternal grandmother who was a skilled crafter. I expressed interest in what she was doing and she showed me how to crochet and knit, knitting took on right away! Something about wool moving through my fingers - it’s that satisfying feeling that's impossible to describe, you know. I remember one project – a pink acrylic scarf I crocheted but I don’t think it was my first one.

Karen: I read about your "obsession sweater" on your blog. You mentioned that the original sweater was ruined. What happened to it? How did it feel to be able to recreate the sweater (and use some newer techniques that you had learned in the meantime)?

Jenny: The sweater, Collarlicious, deserves a special blog post because it essentially made me pick up my needles after a 10 year hiatus. I made the original from elann.com Highland Wool and after few years of wear I accidentally used too hot of water to wash it. Of course, I was devastated because I poured so much energy and time into fitting it. I actually learned Barbara Walker’s top down short row sleeve shaping when knitting it! So years later I re-created the sweater with new elann.com wool and a new Contiguous technique – it’s amazing how much one simple garment can teach us!
collarlicious (photo copyright Jenny Faifel, used by permission)
Karen: It looks like you frequently use Susie M's Contiguous Method. (I've only done one small project with it so far but I really liked it and want to do more with it.) Why have you decided to use it in your designs? What do you feel it adds to sweater construction?

Jenny: Well, I like three things – top down construction, no seams and set-in sleeve. Contiguous combines all three! I was a slow comer to this method and had to tweak it a bit to make it work like I intended it. I like that you can try the garment on as you go, you can even partially block it and then try it on, so you know the fit is right and it saves a lot of time. I am a huge fan of top down no seams for that reason only!

Karen: Do you have a favorite among your designs?

Jenny: Of course, I love them all – they are my babies! But v-lace has a special place in my heart! I love 60’s and 70’s inspired hippie fashion and this sweater was my interpretation of these trends. Throw on your bell bottoms, platform wedges and hoop earrings and you are good to go! It makes me think of summer (which is my favorite season) and 60’s (my favorite decade) so it just plain makes me happy!
v-lace (photo copyright Jenny Faifel, used by permission)
Karen: Do you have a favorite yarn that you like to work with?

Jenny: That’s a tough one with so many options these days! I love traditional wool but I also love the handdyed colors that are relatively new to the knitting world. Right now, my two favourite wools are on the opposite side of the spectrum: I love Dia Twist DK by Colour Adventures. Elena’s handdyed colors are awesome and it does not pill or stretch while being soft! I also love Kauni Effektgarn which is a Shetland wool type of yarn with gorgeous long color repeats. It’s super warm and it’s simply delicious to knit with. One of my latest designs, Biased Transitions, was made with this wool and it won’t be my last.

Karen: How has the GAL been going for you? Are you doing some gift knitting yourself?

Jenny: The past few months have been very busy for me in terms of designing and sample knitting so I was not able to participate in the GAL. Being a very organized person, I am usually done with my gift knitting in October – beginning of November so I can enjoy the holiday season fully and savor the month of December slowly.

Karen: What's coming up next for your designs? (I took a peek at your group and saw some test knits going on--looks like some great things coming up!)

Jenny: Thank you! I am very flattered! I don’t want to disclose too much but I will say that my plans are to concentrate on garments that can be worn for most of the year as well as occasional accessory here and there. And while I am continuing to stick with my present geometrical themes, I will also be incorporating other motifs in my designs. Thank you Karen for interviewing me, it was a pleasure!

Karen: My pleasure! Thanks so much for joining me today, Jenny! I'm going to go shopping for yarn for desert flower (the Madtosh store is having Black Friday yarn sale so I just might have to run over there and find something!) and will be keeping my eye on your upcoming designs.

Find Jenny online:
Ravelry: SweaterFreak
Ravelry designer page
Ravelry group
Blog
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment