Monday, April 27, 2015

Fiber Week in Review: April 20-26

I've been working on an upcoming shawl collection that I don't want to reveal too much about, so there's not a whole lot to report this week.

Knitting: I'm knitting like the wind on the shawl collection. I finished the first one this week and am coming close to the end of the second one. I have five planned so three more to go to meet a June 15 deadline. If I can keep up this pace, I should make it.

Of course, that means very little time to work on anything else (like the baby blanket). I do have a pair of socks on the needles and have picked those up a little this week.



Spinning: None. *sigh*

Stash Enhancement: None. And I think I need to do some serious stash dehancement. I mentioned that last week and I think that needs to be on the agenda for this coming week. It's time to get all of the stash out and seriously decide whether or not I'm ever going to use it. Look for additions to my sale tab on Ravelry. I've also got some needles and other supplies that I should destash as well.

Designing: As already mentioned, I'm working on a collection of five shawls. I'm working with the wonderful ladies of Stitch Definition to get the collection ready in time to debut at STITCHES Texas in September. To do that, I need to get the patterns to the tech editor and the samples to the photographer by June 15. It's a tight deadline, but I know I can do it as long as I stay on track. I have written out each pattern and now just need to knit them to make sure the actual shawl works out as planned.

I do have other ideas that I want to work on, but those are on the back burner for now. The Chauntecleer Cowl is in testing and I need to send it to the tech editor and get pictures. I hope to have that ready for release in a couple of weeks so that I'll have something new coming out before too long.

Dyeing: I wanted a golden color on one of the shawls I'm designing, so I did some experimenting this week and am happy with what turned out. This will be the Yvain colorway and it's a tonal that has shades of golden brown. (I'm already putting the first skein to use!)



I also dyed some Tristan on the new Avalon (50/50 merino/silk DK weight) base. Boy, that base does not like to let go of water. I think it's going to take days to dry. I'll have to keep that in mind when I dye some for the shop.

And that's the plan in the upcoming weeks: dye up the two new bases (Avalon and Camelot which is a fingering weight MCN) so I can add them to the shop. I also need to prep some skeins for more self-striping. I got some good suggestions for color combinations, so I'm eager to try them out. It just takes a while to get the skeins ready to dye. I think I'll also develop a few new colors for spring.

I also decided to do a few updates on the Round Table Yarns website, particularly for the colorways. I wasn't happy with the way that page looked, so I split things up so each colorways gets its own page and the main page is divided into tonal/semi-solid, variegated, and self-striping colorways. That way it should be easier to see at a glance what is available, and then if you want to see more, you can go to the individual color pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment