Thursday, March 13, 2014

Budding Designer

In 2012, I created a design for a scarf, had it test knit, and released the pattern on Ravelry (Criseyde scarf). It has 29 projects (including my own) and has been queued 99 times and downloaded 1212 times. That's pretty exciting to know that something I created is being viewed and used by other knitters.

I've been wanting to "become" a knitting designer for a while, but the move to Texas, getting my freelance copy editing business running, and taking care of my two-year-old son has pushed the knitting designer ideas to the side. And I could continue letting other parts of my life get in the way and always think about what if rather than making it actually happen.

I found myself looking for an infinity scarf (long cowl) pattern on Ravelry. I had an idea of what I wanted but I wasn't finding a pattern that matched what I had in mind (biggest thing I wanted was that it be knit in the round not knit like a scarf and then joined into a circle). So I decided that I would make my own pattern.

I spent a couple of days going over stitch dictionaries and doing some swatching. Then after doing a gauge swatch, I figured out how many stitches to cast on for the length I wanted. I started with the long cowl length but kept in mind that I wanted to include a version for a shorter cowl so I tried to make my numbers where it would be easy to divide in half for the short version.

I plotted the lace pattern and decided to do a 3x3 ribbing to help blend into the lace pattern. I started knitting my ribbing and then started the lace pattern. And I got halfway through what I had figured out was the halfway point, or so I thought. I seemed to have a lot more than half of the stitches remaining on my needles. I looked back at the pattern and realized that I had included the outside border for the lace pattern as part of the continuing pattern (rather than just on the edge). Oops. I tinked back to the ribbing and went back to the drawing board.

Armed with a new plan, I set off knitting once again, thrilled when I came to what was supposed to be the halfway point and it actually was the halfway point. In this plan, I had two lace patterns and put them in panels, something like 7 repeats of one, some ribbing, and 7 repeats of the other, more ribbing. Once I finished the cowl, I realized that I actually hated the ribbing in between the pattern repeats. Back to the drawing board.



I experimented with intermingling the lace patterns a little more rather than keeping them segregated. I then knit it again, this time doing the short size. Much better. In fact, I think it's a keeper this way, so I blocked it and snapped a few pictures and posted a call for test knitters. In less than 24 hours, I have already had 6 test knitters come forward (looking for 8 total), so I'm thrilled to see their progress and see what they have to say about the pattern.




I am also on the hunt for a tech editor. As I opened up the Criseyde pattern to use it as a template for Lady Bertilak, I realized that I do not like how Criseyde looks. Graphic design is not one of my strong points (I did take a graphic design class in college but that was a long time again) and it shows. So I searched through some lists and recommendations of test knitters and narrowed it down to four possibilities. I then contacted two of those and am currently finding out what they can offer and which one might meet my needs better. Doing this makes me feel more like a "real" designer, as in professional. It's an exciting feeling.

I'm also wondering about creating a logo. I have my karendawn logo that I had someone create a few years ago for my etsy shop, but I'm not sure that it's the right one for my patterns. First of all, it has a sewing needle and thread along with the knitting needles and yarn since I also sold items I had sewn along with my handspun yarn and knitted items. So I think doing something new might be good and will start looking into that.

I also updated my website - karendawn.com - to reflect more of the pattern designer than the etsy seller that it used to be about. It's just a bare bones set up right now to get something off the ground, but I'll also be looking to add to it as I go.

I have several other ideas in my head, mostly for hat and cowl patterns. I think I'll work on a hat next so I can start with a variety of types of projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment