Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hot Wheels Hanging Storage

Luke has a ton of Hot Wheels. It's hard to resist when they cost just $1 each. But those little cars just end up all over the place and finding a way to store them has become a challenge. So I decided to create a wall hanging with pockets to hold cars.

First, I searched online, especially through Pinterest, for some type of tutorial for making this. I found one but it wasn't really detailed (ex: it used a hanger at the top but did not state how it created the top to include the hanger--I probably could have figured that out but I didn't like how vague the instructions were). Other people wrote a little about what they did and usually pointed to the first tutorial that I found.

Finally, I decided just to wing it. I've done a wall hanging with pockets before (although it's been a while), so surely I could do this. I went through my fabric and found the Hot Wheels fabric that I knew that I had. So pocket fabric done. Now for the backing. I realized that I don't have a lot of neutrals. I also didn't think putting the Hot Wheels fabric on a Star Wars background would look all that great (although I do have some great Star Wars fabric). Then I unearthed some Mustang fabric that I now remember my MIL giving to me. I checked out the size and realized that it would be perfect.

I probably should have added some type of interfacing to the fabric, but I decided not to (mostly because I wanted to do it then and not have to go buy interfacing). So I just made a giant rectangle, creating a casing at the top for a dowel rod to go through. Then I measured some of the Hot Wheels to determine how tall the pockets should be. I made the first one and sewed it to the bottom of the backing. I then again used a car to measure and created the individual pockets. That turned out okay, so I measured and figured out I could fit four more rows of pockets and started making those.

Of course Luke woke up from his nap when I needed just 15 minutes or so more to finish it all up. I stupidly then tried to finish it anyway, so nearly an hour later I finally got it done. The next morning, I went to Home Depot for a dowel rod. After walking up and down the aisle that they were supposed to be in and not seeing any, I started looking for someone to help me. Okay, so every time I'm in Home Depot, I always have so many people trying to help me but I never need help. Here's the one time I needed help and the place was deserted! I finally noticed that the dowel rods were placed very unobtrusively (i.e., hidden) and got the size I had determined I needed. But then I needed it shorter. What to do? Still no one around to help. Apparently there is a little cutting center there for customers to cut things themselves. Okay. I measured the dowel rod, drew a line with a pen from my purse, and grabbed the saw. The first saw was dull and didn't want to cut. So I tried the other one. That one worked but it took me a little while to cut through my 1/2" dowel rod.

Took it home and sanded the ends. Then I took out my drill and made a hole on each end so I could pass a cord through to hang it. That actually worked! I had a horrible vision of the drill shattering the end because I picked too big of a drill bit or didn't drill straight. But I got it right. Put the dowel rod in the wall hanging, added the cord, nailed a hook in the wall, hung the car storage, and added cars--which Luke soon thought was tons of fun to take out of the hanging! (Putting them back in wasn't quite as fun.)



No comments:

Post a Comment