Saturday, December 26, 2015

Yarn Recommendations for Astolat Shawl

Tips for Yarn Selection from KarenDawn Designs: Astolat Shawl Yarn Recommendations

The yarn that I used in my original sample for the Astolat Shawl is Madelinetosh tosh sock, which despite its name does not have any nylon in it. It's 100% merino and does have just 2 plies although the twist is a little on the tighter side.

Round Table Yarns Guenevere was chosen as a base specifically for the way it was created (2-ply with a lighter twist) so it could be used in lace stitch patterns. I knit a second sample for Astolat out of Guenevere (in the Siege Perilous colorway), and I like it even more than the original.

Malabrigo Sock -- another one with a deceptive name--no nylon and so soft that I wouldn't want to use it for socks since they would wear out so fast. But it does really well for shawls.

Dream in Color Smooshy -- this one has a special place for me because it's the yarn I used for the very first shawl I made.

Titus baa ram ewe -- This one is actually 3 plies, but I just picked up some earlier this year, and it is calling out to me to be made into a shawl. Perhaps it's because it feels so great and is a blend of Wensleydale, BFL, and Alpaca so is on my list for trying new things. (If you've used it, I'd love to hear what you made and how you felt about it.)

Miss Babs Yummy 2-ply -- I haven't tried this one myself, but I know Miss Babs is all the rage right now and this would be the base that matches up best for lace shawl knitting.

When looking in the Ravelry database for yarn suggestions, it does feel a bit overwhelming to have so much to choose from. It's a bit easier when you can go into a store and actually touch the yarns and investigate, but if you can't do that, try to see how much information you can find about the yarn before you decide on it. But really the best way to make good decisions about appropriate yarn for a particular project is to experiment and get to know lots of different yarns, both in content and construction. This isn't something you can do overnight, but it is something to keep in mind each time you buy yarn. Try something a little different from what you normally get rather than just always buying the same thing over and over. (Personally, I love both Malabrigo and Madtosh, but I've been trying hard lately to spread out and try other yarns.)

Also, I highly recommend reading the books by Clara Parkes: The Knitter's Book of Yarn and The Knitter's Book of Wool. (There is also one for socks.) Clara is super knowledgeable and there is a lot of information packed into those pages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the content in this post was first featured in my newsletter (April 20, 2015). If you'd like to keep up to date on my designs and yarn and receive content like this right in your email inbox, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment